Here in Iowa we have had many days with below zero temps and crazy wind chills. I don’t mind running in the cold, but 10-15 degrees is where I draw the line. I have moved my training to the gym…oh the gym…sigh.
Side note – I am a member of the University of Iowa Campus and Wellness Center. It’s mostly for the students.
- It’s warm
- easy to focus on speed work and maintain a pace
- I don’t have to maintain any machine
- access to lots of different types of machines
- don’t have to worry about charging my garmin
- Indoor track
- Tropical Smoothie Cafe
- Parking- no gym parking lot, all on street meter parking. Only parking available is to UI employees with parking passes. It is a student centered gym and they can walk, but there are non student members.
- People wear their outside shoes on the machines – lots of dirt, sand, & grime under the treadmill belts. CHANGE YOUR SHOES!
- There are no available machines or cubbies at peak times, nothing is cleaned at peak times
- So many confused people & no help
- Indoor track – walkers are all over the place, people walking wrong direction, people cut you off
- The machines do not get wiped off after use – gross!
- Re-rack your weights
- Personal gym issues – cotton shirts (do yourself a favor & try technical materials), t-shirts with arm holes cut to the waist (that is not a shirt), people on their phones, loud phone conversations, BO / strong perfume or cologne.
I am appreciative to not have to run outside in the super cold, but lets treat the gym like you would treat your own belongings. A little respect for others and property go a long way.