The time came to celebrate another birthday (I’m only 29…ok plus 5). Family and friends have asked me what I would like for a gift, and as I get older I do not have an answer. I do like receiving gifts, who doesn’t…but usually if I want or need something I purchase it myself. So this year I am going to encourage everyone to do something different.
I hang out on social media a lot, *GASP* I know you are all shocked! I have come across a lot of great people. Whether they know it or not, I am inspired by those paying it forward, going the extra mile or doing the right thing. These random acts of kindness have inspired me to ask you to do “34”
Ok I am not crazy. If I were, I would be running 34 miles to celebrate, but I can not do that, so I have other ways to do “34”
- take 34 minutes for yourself – nap, tv, paint your nails, coffee, go for a walk/run,etc
- do 34 reps of exercise – sit ups, push ups, bicep curls, jumping jacks, run 3.4 miles
- Donate – $34, 34 pieces of clothing to goodwill, 34 cans to the pantry, 34 bones to the animal shelter, 34 minutes of your time
- Create – bake, sew, craft 34 of something to share with others
I have thought about what I am going to do, I have decided that I will do 34 acts. They will be a combination of things. Check back often to see what has been added to my list. I also don’t have an end time to full fill this list, hopefully I accomplish more.
My list of “34”
- donated an old pair of running shoes
- shoveled out a fire hydrant on a neighboring street
- participating in a garage sale to sell my head bands, (half of money goes to my friends for their ILFA fundraising for the UHC children’s hospital.
- Add the Johnson & Johnson app to donate a photo for charities (thanks Paula)
- On my way through downtown, I added change to expired parking meters
- Been getting in sets of 34 situps
- I am now the Iowa City chapter coordinator for Medals4Mettle
- I picked up a check card on a run, came hoe and reported it. Honesty is the best policy
What will you be doing? Have any ideas?
Editor’s Note: I was on the fence about publishing this, but I was inspired after my sister sent my 34 birthday cards. Each one was addressed to someone different: “Old Lady” “Josh’s Old Wife” “Aunt Angie” “Epic Runner” etc. The cards were for all holidays too, I received greetings from pets, the pilgrams, the Easter Turtle, my niece, a secret admirer, etc. This brought a huge smile to my face when I opened the mail box to see the giant stack of cards.