It’s Run CRANDIC race week and we’re all freaking out. Ok, so maybe some people are remaining calm. I am ready to run a marathon, that is not why I am worried, I am more worried about the event happening with the least problems possible. People can be very rude and mean, for the stupidest reasons……anyway…
Some people may refer to this period of training as a taper, and some people describe it as taper tantrums. How do you go into race week avoiding this?
- Trust your training! If you picked a training plan (oops I didn’t do that) you should trust that you put in the work and have the endurance to get you to the finish line.
- Take on a new hobby. You need something to occupy all your new found free time, why not learn to knit, get into bird watching, or decoupage?
- Check the weather. What better way to keep the tantrum alive than to obsess about the weather every day. It’s Iowa, it will change 65 times in the last week, so clicking that refresh button every hour will keep you busy.
- Plan your race day outfit. Don’t laugh, there is an art to putting together your race day look. From something that wont chafe to something that represents you. I like to wear a fun skirt with fun colors. Hey, add your name to your shirt as spectators can easily cheer you on.
- Catch up on those chores. Remember all those Saturdays you told yourself you would get to that leaky toilet or replace the porch light? Well you should have some more time now, get to it!
- Volunteer! Whether it’s at another race or your library, this is a good way to fill your time.
- Netflix marathon. This is a perfect way to test your endurance, curl up on the couch and see how many TV shows you can watch before you need to use the bathroom.
- Work on your playlist.If you run with music, this is the perfect time to add your favorite songs to your listening device. If you are super detailed you could get the songs in order of where the steepest hills will be.
- Hydrate. Unlike the weather, making sure you are ready to roll is one thing you can control, so make sure you are on top of drinking water and electrolytes. Or perhaps a Run Crandic 26.2 Brew? Scheduled to hit taps at these locations:
- Kickstand in Cedar Rapids
- Chrome Horse in New Bo Cedar Rapids
- Vine in Coralville
- Old Chicago Coralville
- Tin Roost North Liberty
- Red’s Ale House North Liberty
Big Grove in Iowa City will have it at the post race party
- Rest! Take a nap, sleep in, go to bed early. Arrive to race day feeling refreshed!
- Carboload! This might be my favorite thing, I like food and I LOVE pasta!! By now, with your longer training runs you should know what foods agree with your digestive tract. Add them to your diet in the week leading up to the big race.
WHEW!! After all of these things, it’s race day and your taper tantrums should be over. The next thing to do is get to the start line, so you can get to that finish line!